Description of the position
To conduct research activities in conjunction with the personnel at COPEG, ARS and collaborators in order to develop and evaluate improved male-only strains for the New World Screwworm (NSW) program eradication program.
Scope of the position
- Target customer: Internal personnel, COPEG
- Decision Making: Freedom to work on the duties assigned to the position according to the general, overall procedures and instructions set by the board of technical directors, the board of general directors, and whomever acts on behalf of either boards.
- Budget: Does not directly manage budgeting.
- Main job functions
- Develop and implement an original and independent research project that works in the best interest and in accordance with future plans for the COPEG Sterile Fly Plant. The main objective of the NSW research programs is to develop an all-male transgenic brood.
- Monitor the progress of the research while maintaining close contact with the rest of the team members.
- Guide the research team toward the completion of the objectives and goals set for the research project.
- Provide regular, weekly if appropriate, reports detailing the progress of research. The reports should be addressed to the immediate supervisor.
- Participate in scientific, governmental and corporate meetings in order to showcase the progress and findings from your research on behalf of COPEG.
- Make oral presentations about the work being done by the research team to outside visitors and directors or managers from other departments in COPEG.
- Author/coauthor and publish scientific papers and articles in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Responsibilities towards team work: Conducts, coordinates, distributes and follows through the execution of tasks for the main research project: Development of an all-male NSW brood.
- Responsibility towards timeline: Plans, organizes, develops, executes, and completes short and medium-term goals and objectives derive from the main research projects carried by the unit.
- Responsibility towards sensitive information: Responsible for confidential information pertaining to the research projects carried by the incumbent and associated researchers.
- Responsibility towards third-parties communication channels: Communicates effectively with the following internal personnel on a day-to-day basis: directors, administrators, assistant directors, department heads, coordinators, supervisors, collaborators and technical personnel at the laboratory.
- Responsibilities towards assets and equipment: Responsible for all the assets provided by the organization and that are necessary to perform his/her job duties. It is her/his obligation to use these assets in the best way possible.
Education: PhD in Molecular Biology, Genetics or relevant, related area.
Experience: Minimum three (3) years of experience working with insect genetics.
- Strong base knowledge of Molecular Biology and Genetics.
- Knowledgeable about recombinant DNA techniques.
- Knowledgeable about insect genetics.
- Knowledgeable about project evaluation methodologies.
- Advanced communication in English.
Knowledge desired but not essential
- Experienced with micro-injection techniques for insect embryos.
- Knowledgeable about methods for insect transgenesis. Experience writing scientific papers and giving oral dissertations.
- Expertise with the following software: MS Office Suite and image editing programs such as Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, etc.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish.
- Teamwork: organizes and coordinates the teams while promoting respect, civility, openness and collaboration. Develops work strategies and motivates colleagues for the completions of goals and objectives.
- Communication: Fosters effective communication and ensures the information is received and understood in order to maintain focus and obtain positive results.
- Organization and Time-Management: Plans and organizes the team by establishing priorities thus results can be delivered efficiently and on a timely fashion.
- Record Keeping: Maintains a clear and accurate record of experiments performed and results achieved.
- Strategic Thinking: Analyzes situations and always works for the problem solution despite the resources available and situation in hand, with a positive attitude and without affecting the work of others.
- Knowledge and Fulfillment of Duties: Knows the extent of his or hers respective responsibilities and executes accordingly.
- Appropriate use of Resources: Ensures that the personnel takes care of the equipment and resources given by the institution and for the reporting of any anomalies or malfunctions.